Created on Thursday, 10 May 2007 12:03
Last Updated on Thursday, 10 May 2007 12:06
To The Editor:
There seems to be growing awareness and alarm in the community about
the problem of Peak Oil and the coming era of resource scarcity. Since
I've been studying this problem longer than most, I thought I would
offer up my own plan for moving the community toward long-term
Since no technological solutions are possible, even theoretically, and
we are also running out of natural gas, coal and uranium, we are going
to have to revert back to much earlier times. Therefore, here's my plan:
1. Start breeding draft horses and mules for farm work and transportation. We're going to need them.
2. Stop training people in the use of computers and start preparing
them for the jobs of the future: blacksmiths, coopers, cobblers,
spinners and weavers, and farmers. Especially farmers.
3. Re-build the old-time water-powered grain and saw mills on the Mad River. We're going to need them.
4. Stop building and maintaining paved roads. Dirt tracks work just fine for horses and buggies.
5. Stop issuing building permits. Planet earth is finite. We need to stop growing.
I could go on but you get the idea. Since I'm quite sure my plan will
meet with the enthusiastic support of almost no one, I'll leave it to
others to work out the details.