Wind: 14 mph

  • 3 Aug 2015

    Scattered Thunderstorms 81°F 61°F

  • 4 Aug 2015

    Scattered Thunderstorms 73°F 55°F

The Valley Reporter
P.O. Box 119
Waitsfield, VT 05673

Valley Reporter on Facebook

The Valley Reporter Restaurant Guide
Calendar of Events for the Mad River Valley
The Valley Reporter Business Listings

Harwood draws even with MVU in home opener



By Logan Cooke, HU sports correspondent

Harwood's sports teams have suddenly taken a turn from contenders to powerhouses with the boys' soccer taking the D. II championship, the girls' soccer, the school's track stars and the field hockey teams getting eliminated late into the playoffs. This puts a lot of pressure on the next season of sports. This pressure and hype seems like something all the teams are willing to take head on. This is no exception for the boys' varsity hockey team.

The Highlanders (1-1-1) played the Missisquoi Thunderbirds last Wednesday, December 5, at the Waterbury Ice Center, marking the opening of the home season for the Highlanders. The Thunderbirds were hoping to spoil opening day by using their size to defeat a Highlander team that was not at all intimidated by their larger opponents.

The beginning of the game was one that Harwood is looking to forget. Missisquoi came out firing and getting on the board with a goal 4:10 into the game. Missisquoi added to the lead with a goal exactly eight minutes later. The mood going into the locker room for Harwood after the first period was bleak, facing a 2-0 deficit. When they returned to the ice, Coach Dave Morse elected to pull freshmen goalie Jeff Evans-Mongeon for sophomore Austin Coles.

Missisquoi did not seem to care, when two Missisquoi players marched in seemingly untouched to extend their lead to three. This was the wake-up call Harwood needed to take control of the game. Junior Luke Sisler scored at the 12:43 mark, helping swing momentum into Harwood's favor. The third period belonged to Harwood, getting consecutive goals from two veteran players in Kenny Bourneuf and Trey Kiendl.  

Missisquoi did strike back by putting a loose puck in the back of net 10 minutes into the third. Shortly after, Luke Sisler picked up his second goal of the game off a perfect feed from Kiendl. With the score tied 4-4, both coaches elected to go to an overtime. Despite Harwood dominating the OT, the game ended in a 4-4 draw. Although coming away with a tie, the feedback from the Harwood bench was positive.

"It felt really good coming back from 3-0," said co-captain Trey Kiendl. "We really stepped it up towards the end of the game. I was happy with the way we really pulled together in the third period as a team."

Harwood is 1-1-1 after this game, and plays Mt. Mansfield next. The future definitely looks strong for this team.

Add comment

All comments are moderated. Please include your full name and email. Email address will not be shown but are necessary for confirmation.

Security code