Wind: 0 mph

  • 30 Jul 2015

    PM Thunderstorms 80°F 61°F

  • 31 Jul 2015

    Partly Cloudy 78°F 59°F

The Valley Reporter
P.O. Box 119
Waitsfield, VT 05673

Valley Reporter on Facebook

The Valley Reporter Restaurant Guide
Calendar of Events for the Mad River Valley
The Valley Reporter Business Listings

Harwood defeats Stowe

On Saturday, September 29, Stowe came to Harwood to play this year’s edition of a traditional rivalry. Harwood had lost to Stowe in the two teams’ last four meetings. The field at Harwood was wet. The larger-than-usual Saturday afternoon crowd had their raingear because of the on again, off again drizzle.

Harwood coach Don Haddox continues to try different player combinations to strengthen his team. For this game, he had Chase Johnson, who played most of the Peoples game, starting at midfield next to Willie MacGowen.

Stowe got off to a quick start three minutes into the game. Stowe was awarded a penalty kick for a foul that appeared to many in the crowd as not a foul but simply two players slipping on the wet grass as they both went for the ball. Stowe junior Robert Buonnano converted the penalty kick to put Stowe up 1-0.

For the next 25 minutes both teams had strong offensive runs up and down the field, but neither side was able to organize a sustained attack. Late in the half, Harwood began to gain the upper hand and with 10 minutes remaining in the half, Harwood sophomore Teagan Drake scored off of a Sam Boylan pass, tying up the game 1-1. Harwood continued to attack and almost scored again as junior Scooter Randolph had a clean breakaway that was turned away by Stowe goalkeeper Jim Brochausen. The half ended with the score 1-1.

Harwood came out in the second half looking energized, and five minutes into the half, Harwood senior Winn Parker scored off a leading pass from co-captain Sam Boylan, putting Harwood ahead 2-1.

Both teams worked at trying to put together a scoring drive for the next 20 minutes. A Stowe player was fouled about 20 yards outside of the goal area with 23 minutes remaining in the game. Stowe sophomore Blake Duffy took the kick and got it through a wall of Harwood defenders and past goalie Matt Fisher to tie up the game.

Two minutes later, Harwood’s Sam Boylan got an unassisted goal that put Harwood in the lead again 3-2. The game went back and forth, but Harwood appeared to have momentum.

With four minutes remaining in the game, Harwood had a corner kick and appeared to be getting ready to run one of their situational set plays. Co-captain Sam Boylan asked the referee to pace off 10 yards to ensure the Stowe defenders were not too close to the Harwood kicker. The referee responded by giving Boylan a yellow card. Since it was his second yellow card of the game Boylan had to leave the game and Harwood would play the last four minutes short a man.

The last four minutes of the game were hard fought as Stowe tried to tie up the game and put it into overtime. They were unsuccessful as the game ended with Harwood winning 3-2.

Jim Brochausen, the Stowe keeper, had 11 saves in the game and the Harwood goalie Matt Fischer had 4. 

Harwood has two upcoming home games: On Friday, October 5, against Spaulding; and Monday, October 8, against Randolph, both at 4 p.m. On Wednesday, October 10, the team will be traveling to U-32 for a 6 p.m. game under the lights.


Add comment

All comments are moderated. Please include your full name and email. Email address will not be shown but are necessary for confirmation.

Security code